Monday, March 8, 2010

Bed, Books and Blubber

Being stuck in bed has it's perks, not a lot of them, but they are there. I am fortunate enough to roll over and look out my window at the Hawaiian sun, hear the tropical breeze and birds, smell the sweet flowers and to feel, for a brief moment, that all is right with the world.

Still, getting out and enjoying it would be better.

I have been doing a lot of reading; another perk of being stuck in bed. I have the American Gothic Stories which is full of short stories by Anne Rice, H.P. Lovecraft, Stephen King, just to name a few. I'm not sure where I got this book but it was previously owned by a student or at least someone studying literature as the book is marked up with notes, highlighted and underlined. I love used books like these, I love to read the notes. I wonder why they were writing notes in the book in the first place, and whether they wrote their own stories, and whether they were ever published. My imagination throbs! LOL

So, as you know I am also reading Moby Dick. It's taking a while because I keep stopping to look up words. My vocabulary skills are not quite on par with Herman. But then again modern day writing doesn't demand too much of a grasp of the forgotten English language. It's rather dull reading a modern book after struggling through a classic like Moby Dick. Oh well.

I will leave you with another quote from Herman Melville's great work:

All that maddens and torments; all that stirs up the lees of things; all truth with malice in it; all that cracks the sinews and cakes the brain; all the subtle demonisms of life and thought; all evil, to crazy Ahab, were visibly personified, and made practically assailable in Moby Dick.

This sentence is the summation of Ahab's motivation. Melville could have virtually started the book with this sentence and saved me a lot of trouble. Ha ha ha. No really. Peace.

-Nosmo

2 comments:

  1. I love reading classic literature. I have both the Odyssey and The Iliad under my belt along with Treasure Island, The Count of Monte Cristo and every last Sherlock Holmes story I could find including The Return of Sherlock Holmes....

    I honestly doubt I have any classic American literature read yet....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't like reading classics as I really dislike archaic English. I end up losing the story in old words. It isn't beautiful to me. I am too impatient. It's why I'm not overly fond of most poetry. I guess I'm just lazy.

    ReplyDelete