Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Dog Days

My dog has been sleeping in my bed for nine years now. Originally, I was against the idea but my wife insisted. Many nights I spent in agony as the dog planted herself between me and my wife leaving no room for my left or right arm, depending on what side of the bed I slept on.

After we got a queen size four seasons mattress things got a bit better. But it was still rather uncomfortable as the dog liked to stretch out in the middle of the night, digging her nails into my back and buttocks.

Last year the wife decided the bed was too stiff for her and she has been camping out on the couch since but the dog has never left my side. She has, however, been pacing around the bed and whining trying to find the easiest way up.

Last night she made an attempt to get up, her back legs gave out and she fell back to the floor. My dog is getting old, the hips are starting to go. I had to get out of bed and lift the dog onto the mattress. I told her I would get some doggy steps but I'm not sure where I would put them. She gratefully smothered my face with smelly dog kisses and then rolled up into a ball on the side of the bed where my wife used to sleep.

My dog is my best friend in the world and I can't imagine life without her but nothing lasts forever, especially in a dogs life. I will one day have to move on after she is laid to rest. Until then I would like to make her life as wonderful as I can. It's the least I can do in exchanged for what she has given me.

-Nosmo

10 comments:

  1. Hi, I can totally relate with this problem. I had an old dog that I got from a rescue centre when he was about 2 1/2 years old, and when he was 22 he developed a tumour on his spine which made him unable to eat or to walk, so I had to say good-bye to my dear old friend and have him put out of his misery. I miss him like hell, but somehow I still feel that he is here. He would lie outside of my bedroom door and I would hear him during the night, doing his rounds, going from room to room.
    I still have not got around to scattering his ashes yet, so they are still in his casket. Is that weird?
    I just think that he was with me through everything that went on during my life, and that he deserves the very best, and I will let him run free and chase rabbits again one day...but I think I'll take care of him a little while yet!
    Very interesting blog you have here! I love that Sand Art! I have seen some on YouTube before, and I thought that it was fantastic!
    Anyway, I'm your newest follower, and as that, you must at least comment on my site too!
    Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My previous cat was cremated. We still have the ashes in the house.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hard to lose something that close....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Our old dog always slept with us - until he couldn't jump up so I bought a bed and put it on the floor for him. My new dog sleeps with us but often sleeps in the living room too because he gets too hot - He likes when I sleep out there too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I feel for you man and I am sorry. I know it is really hard for you and you feel like she is the only one you have but hang in there.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. When one of my cats became too old to jump on the bed any more I got her some cat steps that I put to one side of a nightstand next to the bed. She used them well and happily scampered up and down them without incident.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You said in a post you wanted blogs that were not mommy blogs. www.heffsbarandgrill.blogspot.com, this is a buddy of mine. It might be up your alley, funny stuff.

    ReplyDelete