Friday, January 22, 2010

Pearls and Swine

I have learned a valuable lesson today. Do not throw pearls to swine. Trust is a dangerous thing. There is a reason it must be earned and not blindly given away.

A few months ago I was having some marital problems (and I still am) but I met up with an old friend of mine on Face Book (she lives on the other side of the country). We talked for a while and eventually I explained to her what was going on with me and my wife. I needed someone to talk to about it because it was bothering me. I told her all this in confidence and thinking there was no way this would come back to bite me in the ass. Well, I was wrong.

It just so happens this person is a waitress at a restaurant that is frequented by my father-in-law. It's a small world. This girl put two and two together and determined that this man was, indeed, my wife's father. She then proceeded to explain to him what my wife was going through, telling him about this problem and that.

Now, I know my friend thought she was doing the right thing but, alas, she was not. I betrayed my wife's confidence by telling this person about my wife's problems and then she betrayed my confidence to the last person in the world she should have betrayed it to!

The possible outcome of this transgression? Well, father-in-law tells mother-in-law who calls wife and then the cat is out of the bag. Maybe it will all work out in the end but I am not ready to deal with it right now. I have enough things on my mind.

So, be wary, my beloved readers, as to who you trust. Remember, trust must be earned. I have learned my lesson.

-Nosmo

4 comments:

  1. I guess it wasn't as bad as I originally thought. She had actually told my father-in-law this in response to him telling her that he thought my wife was having problems. Still, the lesson holds true.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Trust is a hard thing to when but when you get it will you treasure it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am looking forward to it. Meanwhile, I have to learn to trust myself and prove my trustworthiness to others.

    ReplyDelete