Monday, December 21, 2009

Life Caching

Life Caching, the act of caching(storing) one's life in a public forum. This is an interesting little term coined in 2005 by a website called Trendwatching.com. At the time Life Caching did not exist but they predicted it. Now, life caching is all the rage though most do not know that the term exist. We are talking about websites such as Facebook, Myspace, vlogging on YouTube and even journal-esque blogs such as the one you are reading.

What is Life Caching, exactly? Life Caching is a neologism(combining words or creating acronyms) referring to a social act of storing and sharing one's life events in an open and public forum. Modern life caching is considered a form of social networking and typically takes place on the Internet (wikipedia).

Why do we do this, this cyber soul-baring? Therapy? Fame? Lonliness? Because everyone else is? Maybe all that and more or perhaps everyone has their own personal reasons. Despite their honesty we can never know why they came and left a little of themselves behind for us to enjoy. Which of course is reasonable. I mean, how would it look if every post I wrote began with: 'I hope this one brings me the fame I desire' or 'I'm lonely. Please respond in the comments section below so I can feel loved by complete strangers'. Not only does that sound absurd it would also turn off the very followers your want to read or view your work.

Not long ago I saw two people walking down the road together, each talking on cell phones to different people. What is this world coming to? Are people afraid to talk face to face? Perhaps, this is our future, our new way of communicating. Or perhaps I'm justing blowing it out of proportion in order to have something to discuss. That could be.

Anyhow, regardless of the 'whys' or 'hows' or 'whats'. Life Caching is a big part of our society today. I would even go so far as to say it is fast becoming our only society. I'm sure if you are reading this right now you must agree with me. Forget Earth! Welcome to the internet. Welcome to Life Caching.

-Nosmo

No comments:

Post a Comment