Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Time is the Answer

Time. It's a valuable thing. I was at the supermarket yesterday buying a box of microwavable popcorn and a lemon-lime soda when I spotted a tabloid with the most recent photo of Patrick Swayze on the front. Now, those of you that are in the dark I shall enlighten you. Patrick, star of such fine films as Red Dawn, Road House, Point Break, Dirty Dancing, ect. ect. is dying of pancreatic cancer. The article stated that doctors had removed one of Mr. Swayze's lungs in order to give him more time (not sure what his lungs have to do with pancreatic cancer but who am I to question this?). But all this set aside, it was the photo that struck me the hardest. He looked like death warmed over.

I got to thinking about my own life that night. My health concerns, the direction my life was going and the amount of time (or lack there of) I had been spending with my loved ones. How many hours a day do I really spend sitting in front of the computer playing MMOs, chatting with strangers who care little about my real life, reaching for some pointless goal? Too much!

It's just a game. It's just a hobby. Yet, I'm afraid that one day I will pull myself free from the bright lights and pixelated fantasy land and find my life has past me by. Or find that I'm dying of pancreatic cancer. Or that I've lost everything that should have been dear to me. How sad would that be? I'm 33 now and my life is far from over. I have things to do. Art, music, food, love, books or just plain and simple living.

Don't get me wrong, I'm am not giving up on my game. There are good times to be had still. But, I have made a commitment to find balance in all that I do, including MMOs.

If anyone asks me what is the most important thing in life I would say, beyond a shadow of a doubt, it's time and how you spend it.

-NK

1 comment:

  1. Doing things that do not engage you is a sure recipe for unhappiness. Fighting yourself and your real nature never works really.

    ReplyDelete