Friday, February 5, 2010

My Dearest Friend Depression,

How many years have we spent together? How many adventures have we been on? Remember our visits to the hospital, our time in the psychiatric ward? Or what about the huge volumes of booze and drugs we did together, ending up in some gutter somewhere with no idea how we got there? Man, that was great! You are my sweet misery and I felt so alone when you left. Thank you for coming back, if only for a short visit.

How familiar you are to me, like an old shoe or a comfortable tune I used to sing along with. You were there to fill the hole in my heart when no one else could. You were a part of me I thought I didn't want.

How foolish I was to doubt you, to push you away, to take those pills so you would be out of my life. So many people have talked bad about you, counselors and psychologists, parents and confidants. What do they know? How could they see what you truly mean to me?

How could they understand that you and I were meant for each other. Jobs are not important, love is a trifle thing easily whisked away under a rug. Happiness? Well, happiness is for others, not for you and me, Depression. We have each other.

But you know, Depression? I think maybe we should start seeing other people. I don't want to smother you. Absence makes the heart grow fonder so maybe you should take an extra long vacation, get some more sun. Travel Europe or something. Don't worry, I'll be here when you get back.

Thanks a lot, Depression. Best wishes and don't forget to send a post card!

-Nosmo

No comments:

Post a Comment